[LON-CAPA-users] Bridge Tasks

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:51:50 -0400

Hi Mark,

This is basically "contracted" work for our Computer Science Department.

Students need to do open-ended tasks, such as making spreadsheets,
graphs, web pages, etc, at times and locations (such as certain on-
campus computer labs) they have to previously book through a slot-
based scheduling system. Mastery-based, they can only go on to the
next task after they have finished previous ones. When a task needs
to be re-done, randomization changes from instructor-defined building
blocks. Tasks go into a grading queue and are graded by TAs on a
rubric. Functionality for "super-graders" exists, and the system can
handle re-grades gracefully.

Currently, this solution is somewhat insular. But there is a lot of
really nice stuff that can eventually be turned into more general
functionality:

* rubric-grading
* scheduling/slot system - e.g., I'd love to have this for our
physics lab
* TA grading queue - useful whenever essays need grading

- Gerd.