[LON-CAPA-users] Hebrew encoding

Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:30:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi Guy,

> My browser used to change encoding to Hebrew automatically whenever
> students' posts where in Hebrew. It doesn't do this anymore - I need
> to manually change encodings. Is there a lon-capa parameter somewhere
> that can revert back to the old behavior?

Lon-CAPA is trying to support other languages the only we are possibly
ever going to succeed at it, by using UTF-8.

Prior to version 2 we were not doing anything to pick or specify an
encoding unless the language settings of the user forced us to a
specfic encoding.

Starting with 2.x we are trying to make everything be outputted in
UTF-8 and are trying to get the browsers to always send us UTF-8
encoded info.

With the previous method we ended up with a mess of several different
encodings of characters in a single page. (<m> stuff was trying to be
a certain encoding, input from the user in dicussion was a 2nd
encoding and the language settings was a 3rd encoding.)

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-2-0-27,137