[LON-CAPA-users] changing part name

Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:43:51 -0500 (EST)

Hi David,

> So republishing should mix up how the CODEs for the anonymous match with
> the students answers?  I don't really understand how that works.  Is it
> just that the CODE is somehow used in the random number generation?

Everything releated to CODEs will work fine. There is no relationship
between CODEs and usernames. (CAPA was braindead in the way it did
this, blame a younger more inexperienced Guy for the silly way it did
things.)

In Lon-CAPA it all works perfectly. :-)

To explain how it works, normally the random numbers are based on the
username, the domain, the internal coruse ID, and some aspects of the
problem (the map url, the problem url, the id number of the problem
in the map, and in some cases the part and response ID numbers)

When you print 'Anonymously' with CODEs, the CODE replaces the
username when building the randomseed. And the exam is printed out,
there is no relationship between users and CODEs.  And the CODE is a
source for the randomseed, not a result of the random function.

When grading the system reads the exam, discovers the CODE for the
exam that was used, discovers what user took the exam and at that
point time says grade this users exam with this CODE.

So feel free to republish it won't muck the CODEs.