[LON-CAPA-users] LON-CAPA NSDL Update

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:23:09 -0500

Hi,

In August 2003, the LON-CAPA Group started providing a gateway to the
NSF-funded National Science Digital Library,

  http://www.nsdl.org/

Through this gateway, we have been making selected LON-CAPA resources
available to NSDL users. In November of this year, we gave out the
10,000th guest login, and are currently providing over 380 new guest
logins each month.

This summer, the NSDL started providing a search service, which
allows us to make our gateway bidirectional. Starting with the next
version of LON-CAPA, NSDL resources can be directly integrated into
LON-CAPA courses using the standard search and select functionality.

Meanwhile, LON-CAPA's own digital library has been growing.
Currently, we are at almost 150,000 shared online resources,

  http://www.lon-capa.org/sharedpool.html

The gateway was established in part through an NSDL supplement to our
original ITR grant. We have recently been adding to the number of
domains we are potentially making available to the NSDL, but the
changes have not yet been committed to NSDL. The current plan is to
share any resources systemwide which are published "public" or
"default" - we are not sharing resources that are published
"private," "domain-only," or with custom rights. Please let me know
if you would like to opt out of having your resources available to
NSDL guest users.

- Gerd.