[LON-CAPA-users] Three questions- extra buttons, resetting quizzes, and scrolling

Todd Ruskell lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:34:17 -0600

Gary,

> 1)  I'm probably missing something obvious but I am trying to remove the
> buttons for CAT and for EVAL that show up with each problem on a quiz
> page we are doing.  Is there a way to remove those so they don't show up
> for the student?  For our students these are a distraction that takes
> them away from what we want them focused upon.

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, the answer is "no."  I, too, agree that
they are somewhat distracting on .pages, but I understand that some authors
feel very strongly that these links be present on all resources, I guess in
part as some kind of citation that recognizes that these problems may not all
be original to the creator of the .page.

> 2) When the student clicks on SAVE for an individual problem on a this
> quiz page (.page), they are taken automatically back up to the top of
> the page and then they have to scroll back down to do the next problem.
> This is a small annoyance but an annoyance nevertheless especially when
> we have 20 to 30 individual problems on one page.   Is there a way to
> prevent or get around this?

I think the only way to solve this is to use several pages.  You can also make
your students aware that they can enter answers to several problems at once.
Hitting the "save" (I assume you mean "Submit Answer"?) button will submit
answers to all problems that have something in the entry box.  So in principle
a student can enter answers to all the problems on a page, and hit "Submit
Answer" just once to grade the whole thing.

> 3)  Once a student has answered all the questions ("tries" is set to 1),
> is there a way to reset (remove) their answers so they can take it again
> or do I need to simply change the tries?
>
> Thanks in advance for your any help ... and  for your patience.

To answer this, I need to ask you a question or two.  Do you want the student to
take the exact quiz again, and have the score for that quiz reset to whatever
the student gets the second time, or do you really want the student to do a
retake such that the original quiz grade is retained?

If you want the former, then I think you simply have to up the number of tries.
For the latter, you can make a second instance of the .page in your course.
The randomizations will be new, but this second instance will not erase the
scores of the first instance.

I might point out another feature to a self-proclaimed newbie that may
accomplish what you want.  With the "PARM" button, you can set a parameter that
does not show the problem status.  In this case, you can set the number of
tries very high, and a student can submit an answer to each problem essentially
any number of times s/he wants, never knowing if their answer is correct or
incorrect, until the quiz closes.

Hope that helps.  If you want more clarification, let me know.

Todd

--
Dr. Todd G. Ruskell                         Phone: 303-384-2080
Lecturer, Department of Physics             FAX:   303-273-3919