[LON-CAPA-users] weight to a folder?

Lars Jensen lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:10:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Guy,

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Guy Albertelli II wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>
> > FOLDER:			WEIGHT:
> >
> > Homework 1		3%
> > Homework 2		3%
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > Homework 10		3%
> > Midterm exam		20%
> > Final exam		50%
>
> It is possible to do something like this using the Spreadsheet (SPRS)
>
> Others have implmented this by using something akin to the uploaded
> score problem, with multiple fields and then calculating the grade for
> the student based off an upload of scores that have been downloaded
> from the system and then massaged in Excel.

Thanks for the response. It sounds like a fair amount to trouble to do
it this way. Most folks I know prefer to grade as I indicated above:
fixed weights for labs, homework and exams. Whether there are 8 or 10
problems on a homework set or exam, they do not change their grading
scheme. Above grading is also much more transparent for th student.

Is there any chance that this could be incorporated into lon-capa.
It might actually help conserve resources, considering that spreadsheets
take 15 minutes to generate each time.

Lars.

--
Lars Jensen, TMCC/Vista B200, 7000 Dandini Blvd, Reno NV 89512-3999.
Internet: <jensen@physics.unr.edu>, www.tmcc.nevada.edu/~jensen/