[LON-CAPA-users] Due Dates

Wed, 26 May 2004 18:01:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi David, Chris,

> I am trying to see if there is a way to set the due date of a problem so
> that it is 30 minutes after a student has first opened a problem.  This
> would be used for online testing.

As Gerd said we are working on this., but I wanted to address some
other aspects:

> One idea we had was to have a preliminary part that they would answer
> before the rest of the problem would show itself, and then use a
> script program to set the due date equal to the timestamp for when the
> student answered the preliminary part plus 30 minutes.  As far as I know,
> you can access variables like the due date in the script,

Yes.

> but I don't know how to overwrite its value.

There is no way to do this by design. Getting the logic of this
correct is difficult, and it it seems to be a bad idea to have the
.problem try and do this, since it reduces the reusability of the
homework problem, increases the amount of dependencies, and can cause
a backward compatability nightmare if we need to modify how things
work internally.

> We know of a function Apache::lonnet::store, but it doesn't work
> in the standard loncapa/perl scripts.

Only the functions listed in the help documentation are available to
problem. It should be impossible to access any other functions. If you
can that's a bug.

--
guy@albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-4-3-