[LON-CAPA-users] Loncapa and pocket pc

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:12:37 -0500

Hi All,

I worked with LON-CAPA on PocketPC, namely Dell Axim, and wireless
connection. The Dell does not have wireless built in, so you need to
purchase a separate 801.11b card that plugs into the top - total cost
per system is between 350 and 400 dollars. Any access point that
supports 801.11b will do, that's about 80 dollars or so per classroom.

The PocketPC itself is pretty much a piece of garbage due to its
so-called operating system, and the version of Internet Explorer that
comes with it is utterly dysfunctional. But you can load a web browser
called ThunderHawk from a company called BitStream
(http://www.bitstream.com) which actually works - it also allows you to
turn the screen sideways, which gives you a more usable aspect ratio.
Unfortunately, you need a service to pre-process the content via a
proxy, which is subscription-based ($5/month/browser).

The better solution is a Sharp Zaurus, a little more expensive. The
embedded version of the Opera web browser works right out of the box.

I still absolutely have to test PalmOS and its browser, but did not yet
get around to ordering a compatible wireless network card. For Palm,
only the more expensive Tungsten line accepts wireless, the cheaper
Zire line of products will not work.

I wish Apple had not discontinued their Newton, I am sure that would
have worked, too - just ahead of its time :-(

- Gerd.