[LON-CAPA-users] exams through LON-CAPA

Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:07:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Nathan,

> > I've got a professor who wants to use LON-CAPA to randomize the exams for
> > his students in a class this Fall.  I, regretfully, only vaguely remember
> > how this sort of thing functions.  Can anyone give me the quick-capsule
> > explanation of how this works and give me an idea of how to implement it?

There are multiple things here that you will need in order to do this.

1) you will need to be able to get a file from your scanning office
that is scan of the bubbled scantron sheets.
2) you will need to modify the scantronfromat.tab file to properly
describe what your data file looks like.

To see a hw problem set turned into a bubble sheet exam you need to

- set the parameter 'problemtype' for the set to 'exam'

The set of problems now it should automatically convert to a
'bubbled input' display, both online and when printing.

You should be able to print out all of the exams now and there will be
an individualized exam for each student.

When grading the exam you will need to
1) goto the set
2) click PGRD
3) click on 'Grade Scantron Forms'
4) you will then need to upload the sacntron data file to the Lon-CAPA
server (it is the bottom option on that screen.)
5) one it is uploaded go back to the 'Grade Scnatron forms' screen
6) fill in the top form, and click 'Validata records'

>From there on out it tries to describe what is going on in detail so
reading the screen and answering the questions should be straight
forward.

In Lon-CAPA 1.2, we will be supporting a new mode of using scantron
form exams.

Basically some people don't want to take the time to hand out 300
exams to indiviual students (I.e make sure Alice gets Alice's exam and
Bob gets Bob's exam.) So we have another mode, where we generate
different exam versions all of which have a 6-letter 'CODE' which
control the random numbers. The generating and grading of these is a
bit more complex and

--
guy@albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-4-3-