[LON-CAPA-users] GPL Publishing/Source Code Available?

Todd Ruskell lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:34:52 -0600

I've just started playing around with 1.99.3, and have some questions on
"Free" publications.

In older versions, I created many resources with the "Free" copyright,
under the impression that when the "source available" options were
enabled, this would do the trick.

Now, however, I see that the "Free" copyright is no longer an option,
and that "Copyright/Distribution" of actual resource seems to be
separate from "Source Distribution".

Furthermore, the problems that I published as "Free" under the old
versions don't seem to show up in resource space with "Source
Available."  In order to get them to show up, I apparently have to have
a "Source Distribution" entry.

When I re-published a sample problem, it appeared to work, but I also
got the following error:

Error occured storing new values in metadata table in LON-CAPA database

Finally, Two questions:

1) What might have caused this error?

and more importantly:

2) Does this mean I have to republish all my "Free" problems to make the
source code available?  It is possible to do this in bulk with the
"Publish Directory" option, but I know we have at least some, if not
all, mixed directories.  Is there a middle ground script somewhere that
can be used to process a lot of files pretty quickly, but not
necessarily *everything*?  With 65,000 + resources in LON-CAPA, we could
be talking about a lot of work here.

Todd

--
Dr. Todd Ruskell
Lecturer, Department of Physics		Office: Meyer Hall 326