[LON-CAPA-users] how to recycle a course?

Ray Batchelor lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:23:53 -0800

Hi Jim,
        You appear to have it backwards.  Courses expire but resources
are infinitely reusable.  You can reuse the sequence to death if you
like, but you really should use CCRS (in domain coordinator role) to
create a new course.  There is even the option to clone an existing
course, which should be really useful once I figure out all its
features.  Unfortunately for me I had already created all this
semester's courses before I got v1.1.

The students who appear to have answers already are undoubtedly ones who
are repeating the course. Their assessment data is keyed to their
identity and to the specific LONCAPA course serial number.

If you want to make significant changes to your sequence, it may also be
reasonable to "expire" your use of it and create a new one.  One
potentially powerful way of doing this would appear to be to use the
Dump feature in DOCs to create a copy of the old sequence to your CSTR
space where you can then edit it and republish under a new name.  (Or
just copy it... but if one wanted to emulate someone else's course
sequence this could be really useful.)

Cheers,
Ray