[LON-CAPA-users] Happy New Year from LON-CAPA!

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:57:09 -0500

Dear Friends of LON-CAPA,

Thanks to all of you, it's been a good year for the project:

* our user community grew, see http://www.lon-capa.org/institutions.html

* we received the ComputerWorld 21st Century Achievement Award in
Education and Academia

* we were able to roll out versions 1.0 and 1.1 of LON-CAPA

* we were reviewed by Edutools, along with other leading course
management systems, http://www.edutools.info/

* MSU received a $490k NSF award for materials development in LON-CAPA,
https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/servlet/showaward?award=0243126

* the core development team grew, http://www.lon-capa.org/core.html

* several papers were accepted by conferences and journals,
http://www.lon-capa.org/publications.html and
http://www.lon-capa.org/presentations.html

* we had visitors from North Dakota State University, Florida State
University, and the Hebrew University Jerusalem coming to MSU and
contributing to the LON-CAPA code

* we internationalized LON-CAPA, and in addition to a German and
Russian interface, volunteers from Japan, Turkey, and Brazil
contributed language files

* we had more users at MSU than ever, see
http://www.lon-capa.org/usage.html

* several textbook libraries got translated and coded in LON-CAPA format

* our servers moved into the main Computer Center at MSU,
http://www.lon-capa.org/msusetup.html

* the LON-CAPA team mounted a centralized support site,
http://help.lon-capa.org/

* LON-CAPA is now represented on Educause's NLII Next Generation Course
Management System workgroups

All of this would not have been possible without the support from you,
our collaborators and users. In the name of the LON-CAPA team, I would
like to thank you for your contributions!

So, what is this new year going to bring?

We would like to work on expanding our research efforts regarding
educational effectiveness, and are looking into a cross-institutional
NSF ROLE proposal. We are investigating different hosting and support
scenarios. We will also work on better integration with university
administrative systems and portals, a more homogeneous user interface,
more languages (Spanish, Farsi, and Arabic in the making), and are
looking into more exam and quizzing options (including "packaged"
bubble sheet and PDA solutions).

Happy New Year!

- Gerd.