[LON-CAPA-users] guest accounts advice

Ray Batchelor lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:37:36 -0800

Hi Felicia,

> Sounds fine if it is just one user at a time.  A few people sharing the
> guest account might not be a good selling point if they both log each
> other out :)

But they won't log each other out, because they will be different users each
having a co-author role on the "Guest" account.  No-body will actually log-in
as "Guest".  The danger arises if more than one person tries to edit or
publish the same resource.  Just how dangerous that is, I'm not certain.

> By the way, authors can be internally authenticated or kerberos
> authenticated.  Most MSU authors are actually kerberos authenticated now.

We use local authentication here.  Thus it is vital that I prevent any course
coordinator from enrolling users that are not actually students in the SFU
course they are teaching.

Cheers,
Ray