[LON-CAPA-users] Putting a "drill" problem in a course

rlight lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:46:43 -0500

I've forgotten, if I ever knew, how one would put a problem in a course just
for a student to "practice" on before going to a problem set.  Is that
possible?  (I'm thinking of trying to do this to give the student practice
on the organic structure drawing tool before facing a real question).  I
wouldn't want results to show up in the grade book, and would want the
student to be able to continue after correct answers.

I'd also like to do it in each of two different ways.  Is that possible?

Method 1, you want the student to step through a series of questions in a
specific order (i.e. simple structures progressing to more complicated
structures).  Sort of a "tutorial".  Perhaps a "next" button?  (Of course,
one could have a series of problems in a sequence, but that seems more
cumbersome than designing one problem with many parts).

Method 2, then being able to present a random assortment of structures in a
question, with the typical "new problem variation" button.  This would let
the student "drill" until satisfied he or she understands the drawing tool.

Has anyone done something like this?  Jim, have you found another way to
give practice?

Robley Light

Robley J. Light                         Professor Emeritus, Chemistry and
Biochemistry
Department of Chemistry          		Phone:   (850) 644-3844
   and Biochemistry                   	Email:  rlight@chem.fsu.edu
Florida State University             	Fax:      (850) 644-8281
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4390    Home Page:
http://chemweb.chem.fsu.edu/editors/rlight