[LON-CAPA-users] "Data Entry Response"

Todd Ruskell lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:27:00 -0700

I've got a faculty member in Chemistry working on coding LON-CAPA
problems to grade student calculations for a Quantitative Analysis Lab.
The answers necessarily depend on values that the student uses.

We have created a working template using "numerical response" for the
student input values in one part, and then enter their resulting
calculation in a second part.  This is ok, but we seem unable to keep
LON-CAPA from providing some kind of "grade" feedback for the data entry
parts.  We can set a parameter to keep LON-CAPA from showing the status
of the entry parts, but it still displays the "your problem will be
graded later"  message, which leaves the studen the impression that
their input parameters will have a score associated with them, which
they don't.

I remember a while back some discussion of a "data entry" response type,
but wasn't able to find any references to it in bugzilla.  Does such a
thing exist yet?  If not, are there any other suggestions on how to
implement this?

If others are doing something like this in their courses, this faculty
member would like to talk with you, so let me know if you are willing.

Thanks,

Todd

--
Dr. Todd Ruskell
Lecturer, Department of Physics		Office: Meyer Hall 326