[LON-CAPA-users] enrollment with unique username

Nathan Schoenack lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:00:52 -0500

Mike,

I should've been more specific.  I was referring to using the "upload a
class file" method of enrolling students.  When I upload a .csv file where
the usernames all have '.'s, then LON-CAPA says that the usernames are
invalid.  I actually haven't tried enrolling a single student (you sure have
prestigious undergrads at Colorado!) with the '.' in the username.

It may be that for a single student a '.' is disregarded by LON-CAPA, but
it's been my experience that with classlist uploads from .csv files that the
'.' makes LON-CAPA say the username is invalid.

Nathan

-----Original Message-----
From: lon-capa-users-admin@mail.lon-capa.org
[mailto:lon-capa-users-admin@mail.lon-capa.org]On Behalf Of Michael
Dubson
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 12:12 PM
To: lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Subject: [LON-CAPA-users] enrollment with unique username

Regarding usernames generated from email address with a period in the
username: I tried the following.  I enrolled a student with username
isaac.newton (Note period in the name).  The student was successfully
enrolled and is displayed on the roster with username isaacnewton (no
period).  When I login in as Isaac Newton, I find that I can successfully
logon with either username isaac.newton or isaacnewton.    Both work fine;
lon-capa seems to be forgiving when it comes to periods in usernames.

Are there any known problems with enrolling students with a username in the
format firstname.lastname?

-thanks! Mike D.

Michael Dubson, Senior Instructor
Dept. of Physics