[LON-CAPA-users] Help with formatting

Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:43:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi Felicia,

> > You can use sprintf to properly format things.
>
> What is sprintf?

It is a function that can be used to format the conversion of things
(like numbers or strings) to strings.

It is what is internally used by &format and &prettyprint

> > You can use perl to divide the number up and display it this way.
> >
> > Let me know if you need full working code.
>
> I think this is the solution I need.  I would appreciate knowing some of
> the perl to at least divide the number.

The 'spilt' down below divides the number up

<script type="loncapa/perl">
$table='<m>\begin{tabular}{lr @{.} l}';
for ($i=0;$i<4;$i++) {
   $plus='';
   $number=&random(.1,1000,.0001);
   ($int,$decimal)=split(/\./,$number);
   $table.=$plus.' & '.$int. ' & '.$decimal.' \\\\ ';
}
$table.='\end{tabular}</m>';
$table=&xmlparse($table);
</script>