[LON-CAPA-users] Version 1.0.99

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:43:24 -0500 (EST)

New Version 1.0.99 Released

Codename "Basted Turkey"

This is a test release in preparation for 1.1. If you have a machine
that isn't actively running a course we'd like it if you could helps
us shake out any bugs in time for the 1.1 release.

Notable Changes:
- start of localization (currently has partial interfaces for
  German, Japanese, Portugese, Russian, Turkish) if you'd like
  to do the translations for another language let use know
- complete rewrite of lonc
- scantron mode works
- more STAT modes (submission time analysis,
                    optionresponse problem analysis)
- threaded discussion
- improved support for versioning of resources
- around 180 other request were done
   http://bugs.loncapa.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&resolution=FIXED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2003-09-01&chfieldto=Now&cmdtype=doit

Known Issues:
- <organicstructure>s need PostScript::Simple in order to print
  either install it by hand or wait until next week when we get
  a systemperl 3.8 out.

To install this update:

1) You will need to be running Redhat 7.X (preferably 7.3)
   for this release to work

2) if you haven't already download and install the 3.7 systemperl rpm

If you are running RedHat 7.X get
http://install.loncapa.org/resources/LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.7-rh7.i386.rpm

Install it by doing:
rpm -e `rpm -q -a | grep systemperl`
rpm --install --force --nodeps LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.7-rh7.i386.rpm

Verify it is installed by doing:

$ rpm -q LON-CAPA-systemperl

RedHat 7.X will show
LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.7-rh7

3) Download the new LON-CAPA tarball from
wget http://install.lon-capa.org/versions/loncapa-1.0.99.tar.gz

and untar it

tar xzvf loncapa-1.0.99.tar.gz

4) Run the UPDATE script as root
cd loncapa-1.0.99
su
./UPDATE

5) restart the system services
/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start

----NOTES
1) Many questions are answered at http://help.lon-capa.org
2) Defects reports, and enhancements requests can be entered at
   http://bugs.lon-capa.org