[LON-CAPA-users] jpg vs JPG

Nathan Schoenack lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:21:26 -0600

Hi Gerd,

You said:
>So I think what the browser does is adjust the image size of JPEGs to
>windows, but not to frames.

That makes sense.  My knee-jerk explanation was to say it was the browser
without a doubt, but I started getting confused by the upper/lowercase
difference.

You said:
>Currently, I do not see how uppercase or lowercase .JPG could have an
>impact, but I have been wrong before.

Upon further investigation, it turns out that Dr. Khayyat was using a
different file conversion program than he was using previously (our scanner
saves as .bmp's).  It seems this other conversion software somehow enlarges
the images, or the old software reduced the size of the images to an
appropriate size.

Either way, our problem has been solved and I thank you for your help.

Nathan

ps. I thought it'd be messy to go in by-hand and rename the files.  I'll
resist the temptation.

I would very much recommend *against* going in by hand and renaming the
files, especially since currently I do not see how the case of the
extension could make a difference. Just FYI, you would find the files
in /home/httpd/lonUsers/ndsu/(courseID)/userfiles/ - if you rename the
files, you also need to change the references in
/home/httpd/lonUsers/ndsu/(courseID)/userfiles/default.sequence or
whichever sequence the images are referenced from (do a "grep" on the
image filename on all *.sequence files in that userfiles folder), and
then make sure to re-initialize the course.

- Gerd.