[LON-CAPA-users] RE: LON-CAPA-users digest, Vol 1 #11 - 14 msgs

Ron Fox lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Sun, 5 May 2002 08:23:34 -0400

Lars, and Guy,
   There are some issues with using laptops as members of a loncapa cluster:
  1. You configure the other nodes in the cluster and your laptop's
hosts.tab table.
2. All hosts whith your laptop in their hosts.tab table will attempt to
connect to your laptop's lond (their lonc will do this).
3. You unplug your laptop from the network.  At that time, the lonc's in the
other nodes lose connection to the laptop and attempt to reconnect
approximately every 2-3 minutes.
4. After 5 retries of this nonsense, the laptop is marked as hopelessly
  disconnected and the retries stop.

Note as well that if you just put your laptop to sleep, rather than shutting
it down, you have the same issues...and won't be able to access remote
resources.

Ron.

Message: 3