[LON-CAPA-users] sample problems

Sat, 4 May 2002 13:04:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Lars,

> This formula response problem is not that great either - why do I have
> to specifically enter the multiplication sign in the answer - why can't
> I just enter
> 	2.1x+3.3y^2
> Above answer is not understood - the system insists that I write
> 	2.1*x+3.3*y^2

Because assumed multiplication is very difficult to interpret
correctly.

For example:

xy is that x*y or the variable xy?

23x

Is that 2*3*x or 23*x

f(x)

is that f*(x) or the function f with an argument of x

For most of these cases I can try to heuristically guess what one
meant but it can become quite troublesome.

Future Plans:

We will be moving away for the simple formula interpreter that we
inherit from CAPA and will be adding in a full Mathematics Kernal
called MuPad.

--
albertel@msu.edu        BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS
Guy Albertelli -7-8-7-  O-