[LON-CAPA-users] CAPA translator

Robert McQueen lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:44:44 -0500

Hi Guy,

    I think I get it now.  But now I'm curious, why does the <m> tag perform
the conversion before the variable evaluation?

    I also noticed that the sample problem below has another hidden topic to
be explored.  [We've probably discussed this all before, but the answers
slip my mind.]  The random function call below only has 2 arguments [which I
believe was acceptable in CAPA, but is not in LON-CAPA].  LON-CAPA assumes
the third argument to be a zero and hence sites it as an error [illegal
division by zero].  Is there an easy solution to this, such as adding a 2 as
the third argument? [I say 2 instead of 1 due to the limits set forth in the
CAPA manual for random(l,u,d) with l+d -> u].  How does CAPA handle the
missing third argument?

How about the 2 cases below:

$R=&random(10.0,30.0)
$speed=&random(2.98e4,2.98e4,0.)