[LON-CAPA-users] Gigabit Ethernet

Mark Lucas lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 12:29:31 -0500 (EST)

Hi-

	I'm in the process of developing a grant for a couple machines.
In wandering through the Dell configuration pages, I noticed that the
world of Gigabit Ethernet is upon us. Does anybody have any experience
with this?

	I was figuring that one set of NICs on the servers will be
dedicated to a LAN, the other to the outside world. How much benefit would
there be to a Gigabit LAN?

	I noted that 4-5 port switches are in the $2K+ range. Any thoughts
from the profits (uh, I mean prophets), how fast things will come
down? If all goes well, I'll probably be buying these machines in August
or December.

						Thanks,
						    Mark
Mark Lucas					email: lucasm@ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701