[LON-CAPA-users] CAPA translator

Felicia Berryman lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 01 Mar 2002 11:38:41 -0500

Hi Hon-Kie,

> 1. What is the status of the CAPA translator?

Guy has a translator.  You have to run it from a teminal window.  After
running the command, you need to end <problem> and </problem> to each
problem and then clean them up from there.

> 2. Is anyone translating any of the problem libraries like giancoli,
> tipler? I have just hired an undergrad student to do some problem
> translation and I do not want to duplicate translating the same lib.

I currently have students converting Biology problems from LOL, Food
Service Problems, and the msuphysicslib.  I plan on having converting
chemistry and botany next.  Ed also has a bunch of quiz questions that
aren't in msuphysicslib that have a high priority as well.

> 3. My understanding is there is "no legal" issues regarding translating say
> giancoli CAPA problems to LON-CAPA so long as we use the giancoli text? How
> does that work with sharing of resources for some schools which do not use
> giancoli?

I'm not really sure how this works.  I don't see anything wrong with
translating them and cleaning them up.  We probably need a copyright
specification in the meta data that corresponds to how they should be
used.  It might be ok that they are accessible during the grant period,
but eventually, the copyright info will specify who gets payment for
question usage.

Felicia
--
Felicia Berryman