[LON-CAPA-users] ntp

Lars Jensen lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:44:48 -0800 (PST)

I just noticed that our lon-capa system has lost 17 minutes in system
time since last September! I guess ntp.msu.edu doesn't accept requests
from us. To fix this I replaced in /etc/ntp.conf the line ntp.msu.edu
with several lines of time servers that work for us. My question is
whether this will fix the problem? I noticed a file
/etc/ntp/step-tickers. What is this file for? It contains the single
line ntp.msu.edu. Should I make the same replacement in this file? Finally,
will ntp reset time again considering that it was off with that much,
or should I use rdate to reset time manually the first time?

Lars.

--
Lars Jensen, TMCC/Vista B200, 7000 Dandini Blvd, Reno NV 89512-3999.
Internet: <jensen@physics.unr.edu>, http://www.scsr.nevada.edu/~jensen