[Lon-capa-users] Java/Javascript and LON-CAPA Problems

Mark Lucas lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:55:29 -0500 (EST)

Hi-

	This is a survey question. As you probably figured out from the
workshop, I've been playing with Physlets and would like to try
integrating them into problems. In general, I have an interest in ways
that assignments can be more interactive.

	It also came out at the meeting that a number of people have at
least dabbled in this area (some more extensively than others).

	Who has done what with these types of active problems within the
LON-CAPA framework?

- Gerd mentioned that he has a 'Physlet Builder' that a student wrote.

- Mention was made of 'Hon-Kie -lets' at the meeting 8)

- It's fairly straightforward (I think) to pick some random variables and
   start an applet (which the student then uses to determine certain
   variables again).

   It's a little harder to hide the numbers so that students can't find
   them easily (especially with Physlets and Javascript).

   How successful have people been at communicating information from an
   applet back into an answer box? (for example, an angle and a magnitude
   for a vector?)

	Any information or examples, or stalled works-in-progress would be
welcome. I've get a grad student, dual Physics, CS, who can hopefully work
on this over the next couple months.

						Thanks!
						   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas					email: lucasm@ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701