[LON-CAPA-dev] Guts manual conversion - please keep an eye out for "your" documentation and update it

Jeremy Bowers lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:29:20 -0500

I'm moving the Guts manual documentation into POD in the modules they
reference, and dynamically generating a "Developer's Manual" from them,
similar to how I generate an Author's Manual.

The Guts manual is, however, a couple of years old. While a *lot* of it
still applies, some of it may not, and I'm not in a position to always
know exactly whether a given passage is correct.

Please keep an eye out for things you may know about going by on the CVS
and take a look at the documentation to make sure it's current. For
instance, I'm about to do lonsql, and while it looks largely correct I
would be surprised if the details are all still correct, especially the
exact fields stored in the database.

If you have corrections, please make them directly and commit them if
you have CVS access; there's no need to go through me as it's not really
"my" documentation. Also, all I'm asking for is factual corrections;
once I've converted the Guts manual entirely I may (or may not,
depending on how it looks) try to re-write a better LON-CAPA overview
for brand new developers assembled from the various pieces, so I will
take care of rewriting for better flow later. It's the factual
corrections I can't necessarily do.

There is no particular time pressure; the "developer's manual" will not
be included in 1.0. I hope to post a single, centralized version on the
www.loncapa.org site somewhere around the 1.0 release, and have it
dynamically build on installed systems for 1.1.