[LON-CAPA-dev] Draft 0.99.0 release announce

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 26 May 2003 17:47:38 -0400

Well, this is it.

For the coming months, we are now in

  testing/debugging/bug-fixing/documentation mode

- I know this is far less exciting than our usual way of doing
business, but it means:

* no more new features
* no code changes beyond what is absolutely necessary to fix a bug
* simulate running a course, trying all components (especially those
that you did not write)
* no more new features (did I already say that?)
* no code revolutions
* if *anybody* asks you to write a new feature, the appropriate answer
is "please file that suggestion into Bugzilla for an upcoming release"
* file all bugs into Bugzilla
* no more new features
* look at each other's CVS commit posting

If your fingers are absolutely itching to write something new and
never-before-seen, I would suggest adding to the user documentation as
an outlet :-P

I am very proud of what LON-CAPA can do today:

We have more features than most systems on the market, our distributed
digital library and reusability concept is unparalleled, and our
assessment engine is simply the best that's out there. And all of that
open-source and free!

Sure, it would be nice to have this or that new functionality, and it
would also be nice to handle this or that more elegantly internally,
but the time for that is after 1.0.2. I know this can be very hard, but
I ask everybody (users, programmers, and PIs) to be disciplined. Right
now, given were we are, the only thing that can really hurt us are
bugs. Release 1.0 at the end of the summer must be rock-solid stable
and reliable. We have to get away from the reputation that we are "not
quite there yet."

In addition to all of us individually testing the system, we will
organize some group testing sessions, where we actually "play course"
from beginning (enrollment) to end (grading).

- Gerd.