[LON-CAPA-dev] Re: Port 8080

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:13:19 -0500

Dear Mirek,

No, you can revert to port 80, but what will happen is that the rather
large Apache children (several tens of megabytes) are busy serving tiny GIF
images. The port 8080 mechanism was used to have a lightweight featureless
webserver provide the tiny images from memory cache.

An alternative route would be to configure lonhttpd
(/home/httpd/perl/lonhttpd) to run from another port, say 88 or 8888, and
then modify the scripts to get the images from that port.

- Gerd.