[LON-CAPA-dev] Meeting Plan

Guy Albertelli II lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:33:55 -0500 (EST)

Hi Mark,

> * The ubiquitous use of ids in labelling of parts to instructors.
>   Display of such things should be in terms of a paradigm that instructors
>   relate to, and that makes logical sense to someone not diving through
>   the code.

I have added the ability to do edit ids in CSTR space where else would
this need to be added?

Will consider:

> * Coding of conditions
>
> * There has been talk of taking a complicated problem and joining it
>   with several simpler problems in a feedback loop of sorts.
>   This 'composite problem' would be a sequence, rather than an atomic
>   problem, that would be plugged into a course, perhaps in several
>   places.
>
>   Is it possible to plug it in in several places? It was my understanding
>   that the parameters are defined by the containing sequence and the
>   resource name. Plugging the same 'composite problem' into two places in
>   the same course would cause confusion to the system.
>
> * I still think that it would be good to have domain lists. One publishes
>   a library under a copyright of domain:serway_list, and then any
>   domain in the list serway_list is allowed access.
>   This would be useful for publisher libraries, as well as limited
>   release of materials being tested for something like a
>   multi-institutional CCLI grant (still no word).
>
> * Replication of courses is becoming an issue. While the atomic resources
>   stay the same, seldom will an instruction not want to tweak sequences,
>   parameters (like tolerances), etc....
>   Could a 'wizard' be created which takes an existing course, does
>   a reasonably intelligent job of copying sequences around to duplicate
>   the structure of a course, and then provides some replication of
>   coursewide (not student-wise) parameters (copying problem
>   specific parameters with confirmation, prompting for some default
>   due dates, etc...)?

Seems to be non-technical:
> * The issue of re-use is looming here. This is one of the main emphases of
>   the grant. I think there needs to be a more extensive investigation as
>   to what instructors consider 'show stoppers' when trying to use someone
>   elses problems. To address these issues, we need to develop some
>   idea of coding standards and there needs to be work on the optional
>   display of titles, duedates, units, etc... and possibly annotation of
>   problems. I was appalled to discover what one of our colleagues was
>   doing because he didn't like this format, this font, this problem
>   that wouldn't print, etc....

BTW, style sheets now wok well, and the use of <displaydudate />
etc. in a .problem is officially deprecated.

I will send out an example of how one can do this sometime next week
to lon-capa-users

--
guy@albertelli.com          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS
Guy Albertelli -7-7-7-  O-