[LON-CAPA-dev] "lite"-weight httpd-daemon for serving junk

Scott Harrison lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:19:02 -0500

> As it turns out, httpd-processes are pretty chunky with our heavy
> modperl-usage:
>
> I wonder if it would make sense to run a small lightweight server on
> another port to serve our public static resources, like the header-gifs,
> remote control characters, RAT GIFs, etc:

Yes.

> I hesitate to introduce the big revolution in LON-CAPA architecture,
> since we need to aim for stability. Any ideas/input?

To deal with multiple issues at once:

http://www.webmin.com/ is something that might make sense to introduce
into LON-CAPA in the future (to create a cushion between diagnosing/updating
the system versus typing in bash terminal commands).

It comes packaged with miniserv.pl.  Probably the smallest, lightest-weight
web server out there.  I don't think it handles modules though.

Regards,
Scott

--
Scott Harrison, sharrison@users.sourceforge.net