[LON-CAPA-dev] memory usage

Mark Lucas lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:58:38 -0400 (EDT)

I need some advice -

	I'm running a trio of boxes that all have about 380M RAM a piece.

	After a hard night's work, these machines have httpd children that
have bloated as high as 27Mb.

	I had to check the consoles for something else, and found that
both my access servers had been killing off httpd children for lack of
memory. I'm hoping it did this gracefully.

	I realize these are partially administration issues, which I'm
supposed to know, but:

(1) What will kill off httpd children gracefully when they are DONE with
    handling a request? (I don't think I want to do a restart, that will
kill off children without checking. Does reload actually restart the
children?)

(2) I have a goodly amount of swap space, but unless I'm reading top
    wrong, the space is far from full, and the lonc,lond,httpd processes
    do not seem to be using it.

     Is there a reason for this???

						Mark
Mark Lucas					email: lucasm@ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701