[LON-CAPA-dev] user names, course names, resource names, and passwords

Guy Albertelli II lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 02:32:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Scott,

> User names (spaces allowed? dashes allowed? ^L allowed?
>             greater than 2, less than???)

must be \w
at least 1 character

> Passwords (you had mentioned 15 characters)

15 looks like what we trucate at, I don't think there is a restriction
on which characters are valid. (I have tried many symbols but I
haven't tried control characters.)

> Course identifiers

Must be unique, and alpha numeric, and contain the name of the
library server at the end/

> Resource identifiers (URL/URI's... yes? so only non-CGI-escape-set characters?)

URL yes, expected to be like
/res/domain/username/filespec

Should be safe to do spaces and other symbol characters.

I'd suggest when it comes to creation of  users/courses/resources to
continue to use the underlying functions in lonnet/publisher it will
be very troublesome to reimpleent that code and get it correct.

--
guy@albertelli.com          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS
Guy Albertelli -7-8-3-  O-