[LON-CAPA-dev] Different Errors

Scott Harrison lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 11:38:08 -0400

Dear Steve:

> I think that I still have serious perl/version problems. Currently
> apache will not start and ./TEST fails because it cannot connect to
> mysql.

/usr/bin/perl --version
   Does it say "This is perl, v5.6.1"
or does it say "This is perl, v5.6.0"?

> Unfortunately, I can't just start over as the machine is used by
> others, so I can't upgrade to 7.3. (It is RH7.2). The machine was
> also configured to match a solaris network which had /home automounted
> but I'ved turned this off for the moment.

My current recommendation is that:
  LON-CAPA run on a dedicated server that *only* runs LON-CAPA.

It makes the installation very straightforward
  (see http://install.lon-capa.org/docs/install/rh73.html)

And prevents potential conflicts with other server activities
as well as when many students are using a LON-CAPA server
(right before a homework deadline), there is significant CPU
and memory load.

> There are three (lightish) activities on this machine one of which
> already uses perl/apache but I've seemed to have broken apache.
>
> I saw the CHECKRPMS script and I sort of hope it would give me a
> list of things to install. It said I needed things but not what.

CHECKRPMS should produce output like this:

bash-2.05$ ./CHECKRPMS
Using mirror.pa.msu.edu for ftp transaction...(please be patient)
**** WARNING **** You need to update at least 25 RPMS shown in
the list below.  THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR SECURITY.

apache-1.3.22-6.i386.rpm
apache-1.3.22-6.i386.rpm
apache-1.3.22-6.i386.rpm
cpp-2.96-108.7.2.i386.rpm
gcc-2.96-108.7.2.i386.rpm
.
.
.

Instead, try running commands like:
perl loncom/build/check-rpms -ftp distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/redhat/updates/7.2/en/os

perl loncom/build/check-rpms -ftp limestone.uoregon.edu/redhat/updates/7.2/en/os

perl loncom/build/check-rpms -ftp opnsrc.support.compaq.com/linux/redhat/updates.redhat.com/7.2/en/os

until you find an FTP server that works.  For a list of RedHat mirrors,
visit http://www.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

> And checking
> root 683#> rpm -i perl-DBI-1.18-1.i386.rpm
> file /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux/Bundle/DBI.pm from install of perl-DBI-1.18-1 conflicts with file from package LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.4-1

Recommended action:
rpm -i --force perl-DBI-1.18-1.i386.rpm

Even though you are working RH72 instead of RH73, you can still
closely follow the actions and steps given in doc/install/redhat7.3/install.pl.

This will, at least, help get all the packages you need for MySQL.

LON-CAPA-systemperl was a necessary in-house implementation of
MySQL+PerlDBI for RedHat 6.2.

RedHat 7.* can and should just use the standard MySQL and PerlDBI
RedHat rpms.

Regards,
Scott

--