[LON-CAPA-dev] Help text

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 10 May 2002 12:22:52 -0400

Hmm ...

Guy Albertelli II wrote:

> Pros
> 1) documentation can be corrected without the user updating the system

... and growing ...

> Cons
> 1) User must have a valid internet connection in order to get help

Only an issue if you are running around with a standalone laptop, which is
both your client and your server.

> 2) We can't reorganize things on the FOM without breaking everyone's
>    install

Yep. At least not shuffle categories around. Alternative: maintain alias
links on help.lon-capa.org, for example

http://help.lon-capa.org/spreadsheet/

and put cache page number into httpd.conf.

I just want to make sure that we do not have to update and maintain too many
independent user help mechanisms.

BTW, the same mechanism could be used for the specific help. Put in the
specific help-item as an FAQ and link to it.

- Gerd.