[LON-CAPA-dev] happiness = FIXED > ASSIGNED

Scott Harrison lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 03 May 2002 13:35:05 -0400

Dear Helen:

Helen Keefe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is this the season for alpha-geeks to come out of their caves?

main entry: geek
pronunciation: 'gek
function: noun
etymology: probably from english dialect geek, geck fool, from low
german geck, from middle low german
date: 1914
1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually
includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
(from http://www.waferbaby.com/brainstorm/geek/)

Circa the latter part of the 19th and early part of the 20th century,
geeks (as defined in the dictionary) actually came out of tents and
trains as opposed to caves.

If alpha implies a prehistorical qualification, it could refer to
humans 4000-18000 years ago who did both live in caves and, as
archaeological evidence dictates, engage in ceremonies somewhat
reminiscent of a carnival.

However, everyone lived in caves back then.  I guess the crux of
the question might relate to whether or not, during the transition
from caves to less subterranean units like wigwams, the carnival-type
members of society tended to remain in caves compared to the
bourgeoistic wigwam dwellers.  If so, we can then infer that there
indeed was a distinct class of cave-dwelling alpha geeks whose behavior
can be better elucidated.

As far as the seasonal association of the spring, I would suggest
that many carnival activities may happen closer to the summer as opposed
to the spring.  However, since hardly any carnival activities happen
during the winter, and there is an abrupt phase shift in carnival
frequency with the onset of the spring, perhaps this helps explain
the perception that alpha geeks emerge this time of year.

Regards,
Scott