[LON-CAPA-dev] gnuplot and jpeg

Guy Albertelli II lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:51:46 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> Now, is Grace going to be hit by the same licensing problems that
> Gnuplot does, once it might get too popular?

Unlikely, JPEG has no patent issues surrounding it. I can only wonder
why Red Hat removed the support for it.

It seems rather odd.

> Basically, they are probably violating the same patents,
> only that for something currently as small as Grace nobody cares just yet.

Grace doesn't do GIF the only format plagued by patent issues.

> What is the support situation nd buggyness of Grace?
>

> Scott Harrison wrote:
>
> > I have for a long time expressed my dislike of gnuplot.
> > I have, in the past, suggested, http://gri.sourceforge.net/.
> >
> > ...however initial output is postscript for gri.
> >
> > Grace seems cool...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Scott
> >
> > Martin Siegert wrote:
> > >
> > > I just mailed Scott about this:
> > > for everybody who wants to try out grace and is too lazy to compile from
> > > source (which is not completely trivial):
> > > I compile it for RH 7.2 a while ago. The RPMS are here:
> > >
> > > http://www.sfu.ca/~siegert/grace.html

And if we plan on having people install outside RPMS then why not roll
our own gnuplot rpm with gif and jpeg support?

I thought the plan was to move towards a common base, and Grace I
think is even more uncommon then a gnuplot with jpeg or gif support.

--
albertel@msu.edu        BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS
Guy Albertelli -7-9-4-  O-