[LON-CAPA-dev] Re: LON-CAPA-mysql

Scott Harrison lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:36:31 -0500

Dear Martin:

Short answer:
* there are no plans to revisit LON-CAPA-mysql
* and, I assume, since the compilation was standard,
  mysql uses shared zlib library

Long answer:
LON-CAPA-mysql is a standard compilation of mysql on a RedHat 6.2
system.

Initially done from source:
DBI-1.13.tar.gz  Msql-Mysql-modules-1.2209.tar.gz  mysql-3.22.32.tar.gz

To quote my writing in:
CVS:doc/mysql_note.txt

BeginQuote
There were problems with using the RedHat packages since the three
different RedHat packages were somewhat noncompatible with each other
in terms of expected file locations. (The Debian linux distribution,
on the other hand, has a working set of these packages).
EndQuote

We are now working on a more focused post-installation approach
to LON-CAPA installation.

For RedHat 7.* systems, see the note I wrote
"Regarding MySQL." in CVS:doc/how_to_install_on_RedHat7.2.tx

RedHat 7.* can/should use rpm packages for mysql, though LON-CAPA-mysql
still works in this scenario.

Please let me know if you think we/all are still facing a glitch here.

Regards,
Scott

--
Scott Harrison -- Graduate Student