[LON-CAPA-dev] lonparmset.pm

Robert McQueen lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:17:39 -0500

Gerd,

>From: Gerd Kortemeyer <korte@lite.msu.edu>
>To: lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
>Subject: Re: [LON-CAPA-dev] lonparmset.pm
>Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:28:52 -0500
>
>Robert,
>
>Robert McQueen wrote:
>
> > Gerd,
> >
> >     I was mistaken in the last email.  Apparently the pscat[] notation
>does
> > work, but just not as I thought it would.  It acually creates a new
> > reference with the name pscat[] instead of pscat.  I was expecting it to
> > still use the pscat reference and allow multiple values to be passed to
>it
> > [like an array]. :P
>
>Okay, so I will not need to change lonacc.pm.
>
>$ENV{'form.pscat'} will represent just one entry from the multiple list.
>
>$ENV{'form.pscat[]'} does respresent all selected entries.
>
>Correct?

No :'(

{{This would be a lot easier to explain in-person or in a phone
conversation...laughing out loud.}}

Okay, what happens is that you get the exact same input as before except
instead of receiving values for the attribute name "pscat", you are now
receiving values for the attribute name "pscat[]".  Thus, you have only
changed the reference name....THAT'S IT.  So Gerd, ya still gotta change
lonacc.pm.  You didn't think I'd be able to solve my own problem did ya???
;)

But to back-track, what I was trying to explain earlier, upon reading your
php reference, is that I was expecting that by placing "pscat[]" in the
html, it would reference "pscat" as an array value not a scalar and thus
accept more than one input.  But obviously, that is TOTALLY NOT the case,
seeing as how I was missing the whole lonacc.pm [parsing] part of the
equation.

Apparently, sometimes the simplest of things can be the hardest things to
explain.  [This is probably because you were expecting a much more
sophisticated question.  But that's okay, because in time they shall come.]

Later,

Robert