[LON-CAPA-dev] Viewing Student sequences/Access Servers

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 09:40:02 -0500

Mark Lucas wrote:

> (1) Is there any way to view a student's sequence (in our case
> assignment4.page) as Course Coordinator?
>
> (2) When setting up a second access server, load balancing is accomplished
>      by .... ? Placing the server in the list spares.tab?

Yes, the LON-CAPA hostid of it, for example msua1. One host per line.

>     How is the load at which the request is 'passed along' determined?

As Scott explained, from loadavg. There is also a config parameter in
access.conf (currently set to "2.00") when an access server starts looking
around for alternatives - in this case, 2.00 is considered 100 percent load.

>     How would I double my library server as an access server in a case of
>     emergencies (ie., really high loads).

I would actually do a two-tired approach: place your two access servers on a
round-robin IP scheme. Then in spare.tab, specify your library server as the
spare host.

>     I was seeing some peak loads in the >3 category for yesterday evening,
> and there are some complaints about system access. On the order of 20-26
> httpd children are kept alive most of the time.

Wow. I assume that was homework deadline night.

Little hint: put your deadline in the middle of the day - that will
automatically scatter the load a bit.

- Gerd.