[LON-CAPA-dev] Development cluster

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Mar 28 09:08:00 EDT 2012

Hi,

> Is there any reasonable way to do this? What files get mucked up in
> the 32 to 64 bit transition?

The procedure adopted at MSU when using a 32-bit server as a clone of
a 64-bit LON-CAPA production library server (e.g., for
testing/troubleshooting) is to replace the standard rpm for gdbm
installed for the Linux OS/arch with a custom gdbm created a few years
ago (by Guy Albertelli).

Replacement of the gdbm rpm is on the 32-bit development server, and
the custom rpm provides a gdbm on that server that can read .db files
created on 64-bit arch.

Developers with access to CVS can find src rpms for the custom gdbm 1.8.0 in:
modules/msu/gdbm
I just added the src rpm I have used for CentOS 5 to that directory in CVS.

On CentOS 5, if you install rpm-build

yum install rpm-build

and copy the src rpm from modules/msu/gdbm in your local CVS checkout
to: /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS/

you can then do:

cd /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS/
rpm -i gdbm-1.8.0-64bit.26.2.centos5.src.rpm
cd ../SPECS
rpmbuild -bb gdbm.spec
cd ../RPMS/i386

On CentOS 5 you will then want to replace the standard:
gdbm-1.8.0-26.2.1.el5_6.1 rpm with the gdbm-1.8.0-64bit.26.2.centos5
you just created.

rpm -Uvh gdbm-1.8.0-64bit.26.2.centos5

or you could use yum localinstall.

Let me know if you have any questions.