[LON-CAPA-dev] Draft of 2.10.1 Release Notes
raeburn at msu.edu
Tue Nov 22 10:14:17 EST 2011
Draft of release notes for 2.10.1.
LON-CAPA Technical Director
New Version 2.10.1 Released
This is primarily a bug fix release.
Update of 2.10.0 installations to 2.10.1 is recommended.
Changes from 2.10.0
- Support now available for CentOS 6, SuSE 12.1, Fedora 16.
General User Interface
- Destination of "Log-in again" link on logout page determined in the order:
(1) portal page for user's domain (if defined).
(2) the domain's portal server, if log-in pages for user's domain's
servers are set to redirect (e.g., to a lonBalancer server).
(3) least busy server in user's domain.
- Any session hosting restrictions are overridden when a co-author or
assistant co-author role needs to "switch server" to author's home server.
- Consistent behavior for "New User?" link and log-in via standard log-in
page for users without a LON-CAPA account, already authenticated by
institutional log-in, if domain has rules for self-creation of
accounts, based on institutional status.
- New Problem Templates:
- Numerical Response with Custom Units.
- Numerical Response with Pre-Processing.
- String Response with Pre-Processing.
- New attributes in response types:
- Algebraic input permitted in numericalresponse items.
- Custom Units permitted in numericalresponse items.
- New LON-CAPA functions:
- &wrong_bubbles() can be used to generate wrong answer bubbles.
- Easier access is provided to certain parameters and stored data
- ¶meter_setting(), &stored_data().
- Additional course data can be accessed - &classid(), &middlename().
- Pressing "Return" no longer triggers "Undo" within the "colorful" editor.
- The "colorful" editor can now support the option 0 in an option list.
- Parameter for maxtries automatically set to 2 when creating
radiobuttonresponse from testbank import of multiple choice question.
- Submissions are now recorded for published problems where the selected
foil was named "0".
- radiobuttonresponse items containing a foil with location="bottom"
and value="false" can now include "true" foil in next to bottom position.
- Now possible to eliminate all entries in the collaborator field.
- In Course Contents, an item's status is only shown for resources
(and not for folders).
no longer occurs.
- Display of date with <displayduedate> tag in a problem handles the
format attribute more intelligently.
- Better highlighting of hidden resources for Coordinators in Course
- Role switcher handles case where selected role does not have privileges
to view current page by offering choice to display Main Menu or cancel.
- Message displayed when storing changes now correct when more than one
category was selected in Course Configuration.
- When handing back file(s) to a student uploads are no longer duplicated
in multi-part problems with non-numeric part ids.
- Clicker grading for i>clicker now supports numerical and alphanumeric
data (as provided by i>clicker2).
- Warning message displayed if points assigned exceed weight.
- Ungraded status shown in "What's New" page will now be removed after
grading an assignment by uploading scores.
- When exporting student submissions to EXCEL incomplete last row no
longer created for a student without submissions.
- Choice of "Student Data" (fullname, username, status, etc.) when exporting
student submissions now honored for all formats (HTML, CSV, Excel).
- Permission checking for Spreadsheet based on role (e.g., student)
replaced with checking based on privileges.
- Start and end date for student's access no longer shown as "none" when
exporting classlists in Excel or CSV formats from "Manage Users" utility.
- "Each PDF contains exactly one section" option no longer offered when
creating a printout for Anonymous CODEs.
Domain Coordination/Domain Settings
- Saving domain setting for notification of course requests requiring
approval no longer causes error.
- Replacement of domain files, i.e., custom bubblesheet format file, logo,
images on log-in page, custom login help file etc. will cause subscribed
servers to retrieve updated versions.
- Permissions updated to allow server status utility - ping.pl - to test
connectivity to any host in the cluster, from any other host in the
- For server status scripts using IP-based access control. access now
permitted automatically for both 127.0.0.1 and also if remote IP is same
as IP of host server.
- Readability of "Course/Community Level" box in DC's create/modify
user screen improved.
- E-mail sent by Domain Coordinator using Broadcast e-mail utility now
includes character encoding (UTF-8) in header.
- In lond, hardcoded 'http' replaced with check for protocol used by
remote server (used when resource needs to be replicated).
- Eliminate condition where lonc connection could be hung by a remote
LON-CAPA server with incompatible NAT configuration (this was
impacting searches of the shared repository).
- Nightly system status check (loncron) no longer modifies running
total for warnings, if count of delayed messages is negative.
- New script (lchttpdlogs) called by loncron to tail web server logs.
This eliminates "cannot open <logfile> for reading" warnings when
starting or restarting loncontrol.
- loncron now includes a 20s timeout when attempting to contact each
server with an entry in /home/httpd/sockets/delayed.
- Internal HEAD request for mimetex script (used for vertical alignment
of inline math (with display set to mimetex) now uses loopback.
- lonBalancer will now correctly offload users from other domains.
- E-mail warnings to the administrator about possible string response
grading discrepancies no longer include "false positives" triggered under
certain circumstances for problem part with multiple stringresponse items.
- Specification of internet domains exempt from blocking of session
hosting of users from remote domain now honored.
- If server is configured to deny hosting of sessions for a user, server
will now switch session to least loaded server in user's own domain.
- IP-based access to server status information available for manager
specified in managers.tab.
- New cgi script available to display domain configuration as plain text.
Only useful on primary library server for a domain.
- Support in PDF printouts for HTML tables now includes support for
more options for rules attribute (all, rows, cols or groups), with
support for tbody, thead, tfoot, where rules="groups".
- "bomb" message no longer triggered when generating a printout for an
optionresponse item where "Don't show option list" checkbox is checked
(i.e., attribute: texoptions="nochoice").
- New translations and improvements for German interface.
- Updates for a few changed keys in Spanish, Portuguese, French,
Russian, Simplified Chinese, Arabic, Turkish and Farsi translations.
- Information added for new script functions.
- Function to generate wrong answer bubbles.
- Easier access to parameters and stored data.
- Accessing additional course data.
- Documentation added for new attribute: customunit.
- Documentation added for authoring adaptive hints.
Specific bug/enhancement request numbers addressed in this release:
53, 1311, 2020, 5100, 5528, 5629, 5771, 5817, 5853, 6048, 6157, 6167,
6243, 6258, 6291, 6311, 6317, 6410, 6413, 6414, 6425, 6436, 6456, 6466,
6472, 6475, 6478, 6489, 6492, 6493, 6498, 6500, 6505, 6510, 6513, 6514,
6515, 6522, 6528
To use this release you need to have version 1-20 of LONCAPA-prerequisites
installed. This is the same version as used for 2.10.0.
If updating to 2.10.1 from 2.9, or earlier, see release notes for 2.10.0:
information about default colors, rewrites for https, and localenroll.pm.
To install this update:
1) You will need to be running CentOS 5; RHEL (AS|ES) 4, 5 or 6;
Scientific Linux 5 or 6; SLES 9, 10 or 11; Fedora 10, 11, 12, 13, 14,
15 or 16; SuSE 11.1, 11.2, 11.3 or 11.4, 12.1; Ubuntu LTS 8 or 10;
or Debian 5 or 6.
(Fedora Core 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9, and SuSE 10.1, 10.2 & 10.3 should continue
to work, but are deprecated.)
You will need to be root to use the commands listed at steps 2 to 8 below.
On Ubuntu LTS servers either prepend sudo for each command, or use sudo -i.
2) Update LONCAPA-prerequisites to 1-20.
Note: for Debian/Ubuntu the corresponding package is loncapa-prerequisites.
(b) RedHat Enterprise 4
up2date -u LONCAPA-prerequisites
(c) Red Hat 5/6, Centos 5, Scientific Linux 5/6
Use yast-> Installation Source to refresh the LON-CAPA repository
If refresh is unsuccessful, an alternative is to delete the repository,
and then add it again to the list of repos you use.
Use yast->Software Management->Search to update LONCAPA-prerequisites
On all distributions, it is recommended that you check that you have
the correct versions of LONCAPA-prerequisites installed before proceeding.
(i) CentOS/RHEL/Scientific Linux/Fedora/SLES/SuSE
rpm -q LONCAPA-prerequisites
(where X is a distro identifier e.g., centos5.lc)
sudo dpkg -l loncapa-prerequisites
ii loncapa-prerequisites 1.20-X
(where X is a version number which depends on Ubuntu/Debian distro)
3) Download the new LON-CAPA tarball from
and untar it
tar xzvf loncapa-2.10.1.tar.gz
4) stop the LON-CAPA system services
5) stop the webserver:
SuSE 11.X/SLES 10,SLES 11, Debian/Ubuntu:
6) Run the UPDATE script as root
7) restart the LON-CAPA system services
8) restart the webserver:
SuSE 11.X/SLES 10,11, Debian/Ubuntu:
9) It is also recommended that loncron is run
(as the www user) after installation/update is complete.
This will write to files in /home/httpd/lonTabs used to
store information about LON-CAPA versions on other servers in
the cluster to which the server belongs. It may take some
minutes to complete as the script will contact other servers
in the LON-CAPA network sequentially.
1) Many questions are answered at http://help.lon-capa.org
2) Defects reports, and enhancements requests can be entered at
3) Mailing lists can be joined and left at http://mail.lon-capa.org
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium
More information about the LON-CAPA-dev