[LON-CAPA-dev] Re: Porting Lon-CAPA to current debian/ubuntu

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:27:01 -0400

Hi,

On Jun 30, 2009, at 7:09 AM, Sietse Achterop wrote:

> Stuart Raeburn wrote:
>
>> It seems likely this will be revisited as there has been recent
>> interest
>> in running LON-CAPA on Debian and Ubuntu.  One possibility is for
>> me to
>> set up a Debian/lenny VM here and create the required tth.so you will
>> need, and send it to you offlist. What architecture is this for?
>
> We use Debian/Lenny here at the CS department.
> And Ubuntu is going to be used in the rest of our university in the
> near future.

You basically just need one dedicated server or one dedicated virtual
machine. Is it possible to set up this one machine using CentOS, http://centos.org/?
  We found CentOS to be an excellent alternative to the sometimes
rather flaky desktop distributions of Linux. Other distributions that
we support are Fedora, RedHat Enterprise, and SuSE (Enterprise).

In any case, do you run your servers on a 32-bit or 64-bit, Intel or
PowerPC architecture?

> We are using Lenny, so does this mean that the exercise with the tth
> source is
> not needed anymore?

I don't think tth is part of the Lenny distribution, and Debian is
rather different from the other distributions, so I guess, yes.

>> 4. For loncom/build/make install (run as root) you'll need to have
>> created a www user.
>
> The user associated with www in Debian is www-data.
> Can that user be used for Debian/Ubuntu, or is a separate www needed?

Yes, Apache needs to run as user "www"

- Gerd.