[LON-CAPA-dev] Re: Porting Lon-CAPA to current debian/ubuntu

Stuart Raeburn lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:52:03 -0400

Hello,

The TTH source files (tthfunc.c and ttmfunc.c) are unavailable from
the web interface to the LON-CAPA CVS, as the license agreement for
the use of TTH (see http://hutchinson.belmont.ma.us/tth/tthfunc.html)
does not allow distribution of the source code.

However, the license agreement permits distribution of compiled TTH
code for use within LON-CAPA, so the approach taken has been to build
tth.so files for supported distros/architectures and distribute them
as part of the official LON-CAPA releases.

As you discovered from looking at the makefiles, support for building
LON-CAPA for Debian was considered several years ago during the early
stages of the project, but has not been part of the development effort
in recent years.

It seems likely this will be revisited as there has been recent
interest in running LON-CAPA on Debian and Ubuntu.  One possibility is
for me to set up a Debian/lenny VM here and create the required tth.so
you will need, and send it to you offlist. What architecture is this
for?

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group
(raeburn _at_ msu.edu)