[LON-CAPA-dev] Meeting notes/roadmap?

Stuart Raeburn lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 08 Jun 2009 08:09:08 -0400

Phil,

> Hello,
>
> Are there notes online from the weekly meeting somewhere, as I have
> not gotten any on loncapa-dev for quite some time?

It looks as though the last meeting notes I posted to the dev list
were for 6/17/2008. No notes are available online for weekly LON-CAPA
meetings held at MSU since then.  This is because much of the
discussion at those meetings since last summer has been unrelated to
LON-CAPA development (the topic of the dev mailing list).

> Is there also any kind of roadmap or "what's in progress" page?  Thanks!

The "Future Directions" summary from October 2007 (see:
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-dev/2007-October/001837.html)
continues to be relevant to the direction of ongoing development,
which is presently focussed on improvements in usability.

As regards what's in progress ...

The LON-CAPA presentations page:
http://www.loncapa.org/presentations.html

contains the following items (with links)

# Redesign Project Presentation, LON-CAPA Conference and Workshop,
East Lansing, May 2009
# New in 2.9, LON-CAPA Conference and Workshop, East Lansing, May 2009

which provide information about some of what's in progress for 2.9 and 3.0.

The release notes for 2.7.0, 2.7.1, 2.8.0 and 2.8.1 linked to on the
announce list:

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-announce/2008/
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-announce/2009/

provide information about the development work in progress since the
last meeting notes posting in June 2008.

There's also an "ideas" page: http://www.loncapa.org/ideas.html which
provides a wish-list of coding tasks that will hopefully be picked up
by one or other  LON-CAPA developer at some point.  Lastly, bugs
marked as "assigned" in bugzilla may give some indication of what
developers plan on working on in the not too distant future.

I anticipate organizing a LON-CAPA Academic Consortium future
directions meeting in the Fall and the results of that will be posted
to the dev list.

I am of course curious why you ask - do you have some time available
this summer and are thinking of contributing towards LON-CAPA
development efforts?  Let me know if this is the case and what you
would like to work on.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group