[LON-CAPA-dev] Obsolete LON-CAPA scripts

Stuart Raeburn lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:15:43 -0500

Hi

>> How can LON-CAPA developers recognize that a script isn't used  anymore?
>
> Currently, there is indeed no good way.

One approach would be to add an "Obsolete" tag to such files in CVS,
then do a repository checkout of only those files tagged "Obsolete"

cvs checkout -r Obsolete loncapa

then

find -type f > obsolete_files

at the top level of the CVS checkout to generate a list of files
(obsolete_files) which are no longer used.

Of course this requires those files to have been identified and tagged
"Obsolete".  One way to identify which files should be tagged would be
to checkout CVS HEAD and then do a cvs update -r version_2_8_X.

The differences between the two will include both obsolete files, and
also new files which are going to be used in LON-CAPA, but are not a
part of the current stable release (so some work would be needed to
separate the two).

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group