[LON-CAPA-dev] Test Release of 2.4.1
Guy Albertelli II
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:26:29 -0400 (EDT)
Sigh the every exisiting pain of the .0 release. Any hoo hoping to
announce tommorrow. Let me know if I got anything wrong/ badly worded.
New Version 2.4.1 Released
Important Bugfix release.
Notable Changes from 2.4.0:
- Some special documents (simple pages, navigate contents, etc) failed
to ever become 'initialized'
- pushing of delayed messages was failing to occur
- maxima should restart properly on SuSE platforms
- <while> with embedded <script> generates correct Script Vars links
in answer target
- access times reset helper can also be found on the PARM page
- loncontrol nicer about stopping daemons (less apt to kill everything off)
- Portfolio references upload handles more cases correctly and has better
text describing what is expected of the user
- Reference uploading in both Docs and Portfolio handle <a> referenced files
- jsmath and mimetex properly render <m>\$10</m>
- Setting of some string type parameters were failing to save in some cases
To install this update:
1) You will need to be running Fedora Core 5, 6, or 7, RHEL (AS|ES) 4 or 5,
SUSE 9.3 10.1 or 10.2, SLES 9 or 10
(Fedora Core 4 should continue to work but is deprecated.)
2) If running Fedora or RHEL 5, use yum to update your machine and
then install the LONCAPA-prerequisites (if not already installed).
yum install LONCAPA-prerequisites
If running SUSE 9.3 or SLES 9, you will need to use yast remove
and readd the lon-capa repository source and then force the update of
If running SUSE 10.2, 10.1 or SLES 10, use rug to update your machine.
if running RHEL 4, use up2date to update your machine.
3) After updating check that you have version 1-9 of
rpm -q LONCAPA-prerequisites
4) Download the new LON-CAPA tarball from
and untar it
tar xzvf loncapa-2.4.0.tar.gz
5) stop the Lon-CAPA system services
6) stop the webserver:
SUSE 9.X/SLES 9:
SUSE 10.1/SLES 10:
7) Run the UPDATE script as root
8) restart the Lon-CAPA system services
9) restart the webserver:
SUSE 9.X/SLES 9:
SUSE 10.1,2/SLES 10:
1) Many questions are answered at http://help.lon-capa.org
2) Defects reports, and enhancements requests can be entered at
3) Mailing lists can be joined and left at http://mail.lon-capa.org