[LON-CAPA-dev] Icons?

Phil Fazio lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:04:37 -0400

Gerd Kortemeyer wrote:
> Hi Felicia,
>
> On Apr 10, 2007, at 10:25 AM, Felicia Berryman wrote:
>

>> I think separating the functionality into larger chunks instead of
>> all in one big column in the main menu might help as well.  In
>> addition, the layout probably would benefit from being in two-columns.
>
> I just put the infrastructure into place for that, check it out
> (should be on data2 tomorrow).
>

>> We can also run some card sorting and labeling studies to figure out
>> what icons and text goes best with which functionality in addition to
>> how we should group them on the main menu.  Similar work can be done
>> for the inline menu.
>
> It would be good to determine the main menu groupings asap. I just put
> in some random categories to see how it works for now.
>
> - Gerd.

Wow, very nice improvement. I think it is immediately much easier to
use.  I might play around with that on my machine in the near future.

I'm willing to throw out some suggestions for categories if you're
willing to accept them. Please let me know what you think.

Phil

------

As a Student:

    My Places:
       |-  Roles/Courses (unknown icon) - Switch to another user role
       |-  Portfolio (home directory icon) - Enter my portfolio space
       |-  Bookmarks (bookmark icon) - Use or edit my bookmark collection

    Course Content:
       |-  Documents (generic document icon) - View documents included
in this course
       |-  Navigate Contents (folder with paper icon) - Navigate the
table of contents for this course

    Communication:
       |-  Mail (email icon) - Send and Receive Messages
       |-  Chat (discussion bubble icon) - Enter the chatroom for this
course
       |-  Blog (variant of RSS feed icon, combined with pencil) - Edit
Blogs, RSS feeds, and podcasts

    Course Tools:
       |-  Groups (unknown icon) - Enter my groups in the course
       |-  Calendar (calendar icon) - Course announcements and my calendar
       |-  Grades (possibly heart monitor icon) - View current problem
status and grading information
       |-  Search (magnifying glass icon) - Search the contents of this
course

    Preferences and Tools:
       |-  My Preferences (toolbox or tools icon) - Set my user preferences

    Exit (logout icon) - Exit LON-CAPA

--------

As a CC:

    My Places:
       |-  Roles/Courses (unknown icon) - Switch to another user role
       |-  What's New (clock with new 'light splash' icon) - What's New?
       |-  Portfolio (home directory icon) - Enter my portfolio space
       |-  Bookmarks (bookmark icon) - Use or edit my bookmark collection

    Resources:
       |-  Browse (networked folder icon) - Browse published resources
       |-  Search (magnifying glass icon) - Search the database of
published resources and portfolio files

    Course Content:
       |-  Documents (generic document icon) - Edit and view documents
included in this course
       |-  Navigate Contents (folder with paper icon) - Navigate the
table of contents for this course

    Course Management:
       |-  Parameters - (icon of sliders on a board) - Modify parameter
settings (due dates, etc) for resources and the course
       |-  Groups - (unknown icon) - Edit any group in the course
       |-  Announcements and Calendar (calendar icon) - Course
announcements and my calendar

    User Management:
       |-  Enrollment (icon of people) - Manage enrollment
       |-  Custom Roles (hard hat icon) - Create a user or modify the
roles and privileges of a user

    Grades and Statistics:
       |-  Spreadsheets (spreadsheet icon) - View calculated grades
       |-  Course Assessment Chart (some variant of spreadsheet icon)  -
View the course assessment progress chart
       |-  Statistics (chart icon) - View course assessment statistics

    Exit (logout icon) - Exit LON-CAPA