[LON-CAPA-dev] RFC: XML for <imageresponse> rewrite

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:48:29 -0400

Hi Guy,

On Oct 12, 2005, at 12:09 PM, Guy Albertelli II wrote:

> Your complaints (if I can summarize) are:

... well, suggestions, not complaints ...

> A) You want instructor to be able to change to tolerances in #1

Yep, that can save the day.

> B) You would prefer that #1 be just <vector> and #2 to be named
>    something else

Yep.

> C) You would like a cartesian style <vector> too

Yep.

> (I think those are the complaints at least.)
>
> How about:
>
> - to address A) we will need to assign id numbers to <vector> and
>   <angle> and <length> as well as do:
>
>   <vector>
>      <angle unit="degrees">
>        35
>        <responseparam name="tolerance" type="tolerance"
> default="3%" />
>      </angle>
>      <length unit="pixel">
>        100
>        <responseparam name="tolerance" type="tolerance"
> default="3%" />
>      </length>
>   </vector>

Looks weird, somehow. Also, not sure why on that level. My earlier
proposal was

<vector>
      <angle unit="degrees">35</angle>
      <length unit="pixel">100</length>
       <responseparam name="tolerance" type="tolerance" default="5" />
   </vector>

where it is a 5 pixel radius around the end point. I would not quite
know how to visualize relative errors on vectors - why would I have
more tolerance around a 60 degree angle than around a 10 degree angle?

Okay.

> - to address C), <vector> gets a 'style' (cartesian, or polar) and
>
>   <vector style="cartesian">
>      <xlength unit="pixels">
>        35
>        <responseparam name="tolerance" type="tolerance"
> default="3%" />
>      </xlength>
>      <ylength unit="percentage">
>        10
>        <responseparam name="tolerance" type="tolerance"
> default="3%" />
>      </ylength>
>   </vector>

Okay. Again, I cannot quite see when I would need two tolerances, and
it does look odd to have the tolerances folded in like that.

<numericalresponse unit="N/m" answer="15">
<responseparam name="tolerance" type="tolerance" default="3%" />
</numericalresponse>

seems to follow a different philosophy.

- Gerd.