[LON-CAPA-dev] 11-15-2005 meeting notes

GARRETT, DONNELL MAZON lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:16:40 -0500

Okay.. lemme get this straight

External response POSTs an http query to a specific url..  this url will
be a link to a cgi form..  the cgi form runs what ever "value pairs" the
problem sends, the text from the student's answer, and the problem's
answer.

This is then returned as:
<loncapagrade>
  <awarddetail>EXACT_ANS</awarddetail>
  <message>Message to student</message>
</loncapagrade>

Where lon-capa can then detect whether the student was correct or not
and assign credit where credit is due.

My question is this:
Let's say we had a situation where the cgi script (I seem to remember
this needing a cgi script from one of our past discussions) was to run
the math solver of our choice (oh.. I dunno.. let's say Maple).
Can we POST 1) the text from the student, 2) the Maple script to solve
the problem
Can whatever the outcome of the maple script be checked against what the
student's text is to verify that the student is correct? (or is that the
cgi script's job?)
Can the student's answer be tested against more that one answer from
Maple? (let's say, a complex number in rectangular form and the same
number in polar form and having both be shown as correct when either is
inputted as an answer)
Or am I totally confused??

Thanks
Donnell